The Bible, God’s Word to us, is central to our relationship with God and each other. While there are some areas where Christians agree to disagree [Romans 14:1-15:7; 2 Timothy 2:23-24; Titus 3:9], the Bible makes clear that certain truths are essential convictions of the Christian faith.
RHF considers these to be the following:
1. THE BIBLE [ALL THE BOOKS OF THE OLD AND NEW TESTAMENTS] IS THE TRUE WRITTEN MESSAGE OF GOD TO US.
We believe the authors of the Bible were inspired by God and are therefore completely trustworthy. The Bible is the final authority on all matters to which it speaks. [Psalm 19:7-11, 119:105; 2 Timothy 3:16-17; 2 Peter 1:20-21]
2. THERE IS ONE GOD, WHO EXISTS FOREVER IN PERFECT COMMUNITY AS THREE PERSONS: FATHER, SON, AND HOLY SPIRIT.
[Genesis 1:26-27; Deuteronomy 6:4; Colossians 1:15-17; Hebrews 1:8]
3. JESUS CHRIST IS FULLY MAN AND FULLY GOD. HE IS THE PERFECT REFLECTION OF GOD’S CHARACTER AND GLORY.
He lived a sinless life and offered himself as the only perfect sacrifice for the sins of all people by dying on the cross. All who believe in Him are declared righteous on the basis of His death. He rose physically from the dead and will return again to earth to reign forever with those who are His. [Matthew 1:18-25; John 1:14, 8:40&58, 11:33; Acts 1:9-11; Romans 5:8-10; Colossians 1:15-17; Hebrews 1:8]
4. HUMANS ARE CREATED IN THE IMAGE OF GOD, BUT EACH ONE HAS FALLEN SHORT OF GOD’S PERFECT STANDARD AND IS IN NEED OF SALVATION.
[Genesis 1:26; Romans 3, 5:12-19; Ephesians 2:1-3, 4:18-19]
5. SALVATION FROM OUR SINFUL CONDITION IS A FREE GIFT FROM GOD TO US.
It is not something we earn or deserve. It is offered in grace and received by faith in Jesus Christ alone. those who believe in Jesus Christ and call on His name are made right with God and given eternal life. [John 3:16, 14:6; Romans 3:28, 8:31-39; 1 Corinthians 12:13; Galatians 3:26-27; Ephesians 2:8-9; 1 Timothy 2:5-6.
Through prayer and study of God’s Word, ROCKHARBOR’s elders and pastors consider various culturally relevant topics and issues which may or may not be the source of disagreement amongst Christians. As these topics have been considered, we have arrived at positions which will inform the ways RHF leads and makes decisions. These positions can be fully reviewed through the published papers found here.
FIND OUT MORE
Please contact Meredith Galipault if you have questions on what we believe at RHF.