There must be more than this… those words keep playing over and over in my head.
As I read the words online and watch the images on the news, I’m at a loss. Why? What began as a peaceful protest turned into something violent. Chairs thrown through store windows as patrons hid under counters inside. Store fronts looted of merchandise and lives terrorized. The neighborhood I grew up in and still live has been turned into a war zone. It doesn’t have to be this way. There must be more than this…
In asking the questions, trying to understand the conflict and the reasons behind the protests it became clear, God was not calling me to formulate my opinion on who was right or wrong, He was calling me to pray. God is a God of justice and He will take care of that part of the equation. For us, no matter what voice you may side with in the conflict, this city, and these people, need our prayers.
Ways you can join me in praying -
- Clarity and wisdom for city and community leaders as they address these specific needs and concerns of the community
- Softening of hearts and tensions between law enforcement and the community
- God’s comfort for the families who have lost loved ones as a result of the police shootings, as well as gang violence
- Safety – for the police officers and also the community as there continues to be tension
- God’s comfort and healing for those who were traumatized in the aftermath of the protests
- Strength and courage for the business owners and employees who are having to repair and reopen in the midst of fear of future disturbances
- God’s peace for the city and any future protests/rally’s
- And that God’s presence would be known throughout the city and He would be glorified
Even as I write this, days after the riots, the sound of a siren still blares out my bedroom window. Please join me in praying for our brothers and sisters in Anaheim.
May it be in Anaheim as it is in heaven.
For more information about what is happening in Anaheim – www.ocregister.com